If you’re a first-time visitor to Bulgaria, we have a couple of good news for you. The first one is that traveling the country border to border will take you only about five hours with a rented car! And the second one is that traveling with a rented car is an easy and accessible thing to do for every average european.
Put in other words - in Bulgaria every destination can be a day trip if you’re brave enough! Below, you will see 10+ of the most amazing places you can plan visiting after you arrange your rent a car Sofia service!
5 Wonders at the Foot of the Vitosha Mountain
The entire Sofia city is located at the foot of the Vitosha mountain - a gem that holds multiple natural, cultural, and historical landmarks of great significance. So, if you want to travel no more than 40 minutes during your rented car trip, here is what to consider:
- Kopitoto: a panoramic view spot that stands 186 meters above the city of Sofia. You can reach it with your rented car and enjoy a mesmerizing view over the capital that gets especially romantic at night.
- Lake Pancharevo: a perfect getaway just 15 kilometers away from Sofia, where you can enjoy fresh greenery, multiple spots for picnic and recreation, and a moment of peace and quiet away from the city.
- The Boyana Church: a medieval Orthodox church constructed in the late 10th century and abundant in precious original frescoes. The church is officially a UNESCO World Heritage Site and definitely deserves your time while around Sofia.
- The Dragalevtsi Monastery: an Orthodox monastery, built in the mid-14th century and located on the lower slopes of Vitosha mountain. The site preserves some precious pieces of art and religious architecture from the period.
- The Golden Bridges: a stunning stone river in the Vitosha mountain measuring 2.2 km in length and up to 150 m in width. It is situated in the valley of the Vladayska River, and it is surrounded by different side-trips you can take.
5 Interesting Natural and Cultural Landmarks in Western and Central Bulgaria
If you’re up for a longer trip with your rented car, you can also pin these locations on your navigation device:
- The Eyes of God, also known as Prohodna Cave: one of the most amazing natural rock formations in Bulgaria, with two large, eye-like holes overlooking the skies.
- The Buzludzha Monument: a historically controversial but still very attractive piece of architecture remaining from the communist regime in Bulgaria.
- The Rila Monastery: the most prominent religious temple in Bulgaria, set in the heart of the Rila mountains and located nearby the Seven Rila Lakes.
- Plovdiv: the second largest city in Bulgaria, and virtually the most outstanding location for cultural and historical tourism around.
- Melnik: the smallest Bulgarian city, founded in an amazing natural setting nearby the Melnik Pyramids.
So, are you ready for a ride? Book your rented car now, and explore the magic of Bulgaria at the palm of your hand!